About 1750 there was a one room, two story addition of a reused frame.
Well-authenticated structures that span the first century of settlement at Massachusetts Bay are identified within Suffolk, Essex and Middlesex counties.
Over two hundred First Period houses are still be standing in Massachusetts.
The only remaining First Period evidence is the frame of the core structure, traditionally dated c. The frame is quirk-beaded on all exposed timbers, and thus must be dated to the early 18th century (perhaps c. There are three bays in this section, divided on both floors by an exposed quirk-beaded tie beam.
Thus the first floor summer beam is transverse although it appears as longitudinal in relation to the later fireplace.
This house, along with the Benjamin Abbot and Ballard-Foster houses, are situated in what was once known as “Happy Hollow”.
In 1900, George F Baker, road commissioner who lived here, named the street for his ancestral one at Ipswich; Argilla Road from the Latin for clay.By Abbott Lowell Cummings, 1979 Abbott Lowell Cummings was Executive Director of the Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities (aka Historic New England) and a member of the faculty at Antioch College, Boston University, and Yale University.This richly illustrated and highly detailed book describes how settlers in the new world drew from architectural techniques used in their native England.While such an ancient origin is not indicated by an examination of the exterior, deed records substantiate the local tradition.In 1650 a Steven Flanders was “admitted a townman on the condition that he “constantly keep the town herd of cows.” The original ownership of the house is unknown, but by 1854 it was owned by A.The present modern kitchen probably occupies what was once the original chimney bay.