Along this part of the river lie the outlying centres of Hirzenach and Bad Salzig, as well as the town’s main centre, also called Boppard.
Directly north of Boppard, the Rhine takes its greatest bend.
Governing the town and the surrounding Imperial Estate were Imperial ministeriales; the head official in town was the Schultheiß.
A series of the ministeriales lived in the town, among whom were the Beyer von Boppard family, the family "among the Jews", the von Schönecks and the von Bickenbachs (named after the village of Bickenbach in the Hunsrück).
Since 2002, the Gorge has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
A 17 km stretch of the Rhine forms the town’s eastern limit.
They tried to struggle against what they saw as a foreign ruler and in 1327, they set up their own council.
After a short siege, Baldwin had the town stormed and quelled this challenge to his authority, thus absorbing the town of Boppard into the Electorate of Trier.
In 13, Emperor Heinrich VII pledged Boppard along with its outlying lands to his brother, Archbishop Baldwin of Trier.
The Boppard townsfolk, however, felt that this merger with the Electorate of Trier was unlawful.
Boppard lies on the upper Middle Rhine, often known as the Rhine Gorge.